Sample Customer Service Cover Letter
If you're hoping to land an interview for a customer service job, you need a cover letter that's specifically geared toward your industry and the job listing in question. A good cover letter that hooks the hiring manager's attention and demonstrates the value you'd bring to the role is essential if you want to get that interview and ultimately, the job.
What a Customer Service Cover Letter Should Include
A cover letter for a customer service job should have all the usual elements of a good cover letter, including:
- Contact information: your name, address, phone number, email address, and so on.
- A salutation: Ideally, follow your greeting with the name of a contact at the company – either the hiring manager or a representative from human resources. If you do not have a contact, you can leave off of the salutation, or include a general one, such as "To Whom It May Concern."
- The cover letter body, including a grabby first paragraph that draws the reader in and hooks them with your skills and experience, and supporting paragraphs that show that you know what the company is looking for and that you can provide it.
- A closing paragraph, summarizing your skills and how you'd use them to solve the company's problems and contribute to its success.
- A closer, e.g., "sincerely" or "best regards." Here's more information on how to close a cover letter, with examples.
Of course, a cover letter for a customer service position should demonstrate your specific customer service-related skills and experience.
You're trying not only to get the hiring manager's attention but indicate that you understand what is required for the role.
You'll want to highlight soft skills like listening, conflict resolution, empathy, and depersonalization (i.e., the ability to provide caring customer service while not telling the customer your life story).
Hard skills like software programs specific to the job are also valuable.
Here's a customer service skills list to get you started brainstorming. If you have even a little bit of experience in the industry, you might be surprised how many of these hard and soft skills should be on your resume and in your cover letter – and aren't. Now is not the time for modesty, so go ahead and toot your own horn.
Customer Service Cover Letter Sample
The following is an example of a cover letter for a customer service position. Also see below for more cover letter samples, and tips for emailing a cover letter and resume.
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
Your Cell Phone Number
Dear Hiring Manager,
In today's customer service oriented society, timely, friendly, proactive service is sought to enhance future business growth. Customer loyalty is always impacted when you employ the right service professional to represent you when assisting your valued customers.
My long-term experience in the service industry has taught me how to meet and exceed each customer's expectations with service that sells. I have assisted all types of customers in all types of settings. I realize that acquiring and maintaining loyal repeat business as well as spreading the word of your business through these loyal patrons is of the utmost importance in every company.
Positioning a company for better exposure and greater marketability is a task that I have performed with success many times.
I am an excellent trainer who achieves ongoing success with her teams by building morale, maintaining teams' self-confidence, and training them to build the sale by improving their people skills.
It would be a pleasure to interview with you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Your Typed Name
How to Send an Email Cover Letter
If you're sending your cover letter via email, list your name and the job title in the subject line of the email message. Include your contact information in your email signature, and don't list the employer contact information. Start your email message with the salutation.
Customer Service Specialist Cover Letter
Customer Service Specialists are responsible for ensuring a high standard of customer satisfaction and liaising between companies and their clients. More than just a customer service representative, these professionals are required to develop strategies to improve customer response actions. Typical duties of a Customer Service Specialist include: answering phone calls, identifying customer issues, providing information as required by customers, and maintaining customer interaction records. Employers usually provide customer service training and encourage these employees to constantly update their job knowledge.
Based on our collection of sample cover letters for Customer Service Specialist, essential skills include:
- Customer service expertise
- Selling abilities and proven track of over-achieving quota
- Computer competences and CRM tools familiarity
- Presentation and communication skills
- Time management
- Reporting skills
- Tact and patience
Beneath is displayed an example Customer Service Specialist cover letter presenting relevant abilities.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Customer Service Specialist Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Howard:
With this letter and the attached resume, I would like to express my sincere interest in the Customer Service Specialist position you have available. As a successful, customer-centric service and sales support specialist with a background in ensuring outstanding customer experiences, I possess a wide range of knowledge and experience that will allow me to contribute toward the success of Mercer Industries.
My background includes improving customer response strategies, responding to inquiries, resolving customer complaints, and managing overall customer service functionality to propel business loyalty, productivity, and growth. Through my experience, I have become adept in performing a breadth of responsibilities to optimize corporate performance while demonstrating a steadfast commitment to maximizing customer service and satisfaction.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Excelling as a Customer Service Specialist with Evergreen Elements and HighBloom Heating & Cooling, respectively, managing inbound customer inquiries, resolving customers’ technical issues, and maintaining customer and order databases.
- Instrumental in achieving a 35% increase in revenue with Evergreen Elements by recommending and selling new products to customers.
- Tracking down and resolving customer issues regarding billing, shipping, or defective products.
- Consistently earning recognition from management, peers, and customers for outstanding achievements in customer service and commitment to top-flight quality.
- Possessing complementary skills in areas such as sales, project coordination, and team collaboration.
My proven dedication to optimizing customer service and sales success, along with my exceptional communication, problem-solving, and organization talents, will contribute immensely to the success of Mercer Industries. Thank you for your consideration; I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Gwen J. Watkins