Extended Essay agreement for Sciences at WFS
Students will have to commit to three weeks in the summer (most likely three weeks in July) to do experimental work on campus with a teacher supervisor. This will likely be half days for approximately this length of time. This will be made known to families so that timing of summer travel, employments can be arranged appropriately.
Because of this time and resource commitment, students doing science EE's must stay current with their ongoing assignments throughout the spring. In some cases, this may mean doing some preliminary work on the extended essay over spring break or coincident with other class work.
Considering an extended essay in biology? Please consult the following:
14 Great Ideas For Biology IB Extended Essay Topics
If your exams are getting close, you are probably trying already to gather as much information as you can about the best way to get maximum grade. The essay part of the exam matters the most; it will take the most of your time and it represents almost half of your grade. However, it is not as difficult as you might think. As long as you put some effort into it and you studied your subject well, it will be pretty easy to get high marks. Here are some great ideas for your biology essay:
- Respiratory system: This is maybe one of the most common topics that are given in IB exam; it is easy as long as you pay attention to the details.
- The nature of Symbiotic Relationship. It's more about the basics, the theory and a few examples are what you need.
- Human reflexes. An easy and interesting topic, you can talk about the part of the brain that controls the reflexes and how it's done.
- Blood types. Explain the basic principle of the blood types and how these can influence a person.
- The production of Antibodies-Even if you choose to talk about the human body or animals, it's a topic interesting and easy to explore.
- The digestive system and processed food- A study about how our body is affected by modern alimentation and what chemical substances are we ingesting without knowing.
- Human Physiology- The advantage of this topic is that it's easy to think about experiments and ways to gather real data.
- Metabolism- Explain how humans are metabolizing different substances, how we can increase our metabolic rate and how are we affected by diets.
- Neurological science- This topic is extremely versatile, you can choose if you talk about the anatomy or the physiology of the brain or what are the control centers of our brain.
- Human endocrine system- You need to have very solid knowledge in anatomy and chemistry but it is pretty simple and easy to explore.
- Hormones- Quite connected with the endocrine system, explain how different hormones can influence our mood or our energy levels.
- Viruses and bacteria- You can think about creative ways to use a virus to treat bacteria. There are several studies on the subject, so inform yourself before writing.
- Antibiotics- How are antibiotics produced, what effect they have over our body and what are the advantages and disadvantages of using them.
- Genetic diseases- Truly a very interesting topic; it requires a lot of research but it can be very educational and for sure your professors will be impressed.