How should I go about choosing my topic?
Begin by reading the explanations below. Examples of each are provided below!
- Division Essay: find a topic that people might tend to underestimate or over-simplify. In other words, choose something that the average person might not know much about, and therefore can't really understand how complex or interesting that topic really is. Your job in the essay will be to break your topic down into meaningful and important categories.
- Classification Essay: think about the categories we place things in everyday and the characteristics of those categories. The topic you choose should allow you to argue that something has been misplaced.
How should I organize this essay?
As you write, keep these guidelines in mind:
- Your thesis statement and introduction will need to explain why these divisions/ classifications should matter to your reader.
- Your thesis statement and introduction MUST define or explain the category you plan to discuss (i.e. A sport is a competitive, physical activity therefore cheerleading should be considered a sport.)
- You should organize your body paragraphs so that each division or category has it's own paragraph or section. (i.e. cardio exercise is paragraph 1 and weightlifting is paragraph 2, etc.)
Division Essay Examples
If you want to lose weight, simply saying that you're going to "exercise" everyday may not be the most effective way to do so. Exercising is more complex than many people realize--attaining your goals will involve understanding how different types of exercise can help you achieve your goals.
Types of Exercise
- cardio: burns calories and strengthens your heart (running, using an elliptical or stair-stepping machine, etc.)
- weight lifting: tones muscles, increases physical strength, burns fat (using weights or weighted machines)
- recreational/sports: depending on the sport, can provide both cardio and toning benefits (cycling, tennis, kayaking)
We could also narrow this topic down a bit further and write about the important differences between different types of cycling.
Types of Cycling: stationary (exercise) biking, road biking, mountain biking, recreational biking
Classification Essay Examples
To write this type of essay, we'll need to think about things that should or should not be placed in a particular category.Example: Batman (that's our topic!) is not a superhero (category people place him in), but is simply a local vigilante (category he belongs in).
Ask yourself: Why do I think that...?
- Does not possess super powers (powers most humans don't possess).
- Chooses to be a hero, rather than being "chosen" by others/other forces.
Example: Cheerleading (That's our topic!) should be considered a sport (It belongs in the category, "sports").
Ask yourself: Why do I think that...?
- cheerleaders go to "practice" and must be in good physical shape
- cheerleaders work together toward a common goal
- cheerleaders must "try out" for their squad and often compete against other squads
Academic Writing Tutorial for the Laziest - the Top 15 Division Classification Essay Topics
A division classification essay uses example that show the form of a composition. They either show how these ideas are separated into parts or how the objects are grouped into different categories. When you are classifying something you are putting it in a category. You are finding a commonality in a group of different objects. Division or analysis will break things into parts. Therefore, classification is grouping different objects together using a single factor and division refers to parts of a whole.
When writing this type of essay, it is easier to understand what is expected of you when you have a topic in mind. Here are a few ideas for topics and some ideas on how to make this assignment easy.
- Computer users
- Facebook users
- YouTube videos
- Happiest songs
- Sports teams
- Sports coaches
- Attitudes in the corporate world
- Places to go to lunch
- Restaurant types
The idea would be to find individual classifications of each of these groups for the classification essay. You would break them down into their different parts for the division essay. For example, you can break your classmates down into categories like their gender or their grade point average.
- Structure of a classification essay includes an introduction where you state your thesis. The body identifies in different paragraphs the categories. Include examples for each category. The conclusion restates the thesis and expresses the importance of each category.
- The structure of the division essay includes and introduction which states your thesis. It is followed by an explanation of the pieces that make up the whole each with their own paragraph and examples. Transitions will be included to show how they relate to each other. The conclusion restates the thesis and expresses an analysis of the significance of each piece to the whole.
This is an easy essay to write once you have an idea of how to write it. Choose a topic and get started. You want to make sure that you create an outline using the tips above. Make sure that you edit your paper before handing it in. the quick spell and grammar check on your word processor is not enough. You should really read through it to check for additional errors.